Health Forms must be completed prior to the first day of each school year in the
Genesis Parent Portal (Health Forms is different from Physical Health Form)
Nurse's Contact Information
The School Nurses are available on a daily basis when students are present.
|Stevenson School||Elizabeth Fendler, BA, RN, CSN||973-227-2120 ext: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Stevenson School||Mrs. Barbara Rominski, R.N.||973-227-2120 ext: email@example.com|
|Churchill School||Mrs. Donna Tabatneck, MSN, RN, CSN||973-227-2638 ext: firstname.lastname@example.org|
School Health Information
In an effort to safeguard your child's health and the health of all children in our district, we have a few suggestions that will help to stop the spread of infection among students and staff. These guidelines should be used as a reference point to aid you in making a sound decision.
- STREP THROAT - Child may return to school after he/she has been on antibiotic therapy for a full 24 hours, provided the child is feeling well enough to attend and does not present with other symptoms
- FEVER - Child may return to school when temperature has been normal for 24 hours.Tylenol and Advil lower an elevated temperature; therefore the child should be off Tylenol/Advil for 24 hours.
- COLD - Child should stay home if he/she is too uncomfortable to complete his/her work. Child should also stay home if he/she has a persistent or severe cough.
- VOMITING/DIARRHEA - Child should be symptom free for 24 hours and be able to hold down food and fluids before returning to school.
- SKIN RASHES - If your child exhibits a skin rash of undetermined origin, please consult your physician before sending the child to school.
Another situation that occurs during the winter months concerns chapped lips. The children are allowed to have their own Chapstick or Blistex with them in their classrooms. We suggest that if your child suffers from chapped lips that you allow your child to have a lip balm in school.
Should you have further questions, please feel free to contact the school nurse at your child's school.
Medical Action / Management Plan Forms
If your child has asthma, diabetes, seizure disorders, or food allergies, please be aware an Action Plan is needed to help promote your child's health.
Action / Management Plans are step by step instructions provided by your child's physician to better assist the management of his/her condition during the school day.
- Asthma Forms
- Diabetes Forms
- Food Allergy Forms
- Individual Health Care Plan Forms
- Seizure Forms
The most current information is needed for your child's emergency records. When information changes please contact your child's school with the updated information.
For the following grades: Kindergarten, 2nd, 4th, and 6th grades health physicals are requested to submit to your child's school nurse following their routine well-visit with their home physician.
Health screenings that are performed by the school nurse include height and weight, vision and hearing, blood pressure and scoliosis screenings.
When your child is absent from school, please contact your child's school nurse on the morning of their absence. A message can be left 24 in advanced.
- All medications kept in the nurse's office are maintained for expiration dates and recalls.
- You will be contacted by your child's school nurse to replace medications as needed. Please be prompt in replacing all medications when requested.
- Children who require medication in school must have a written statement from both the parent and the physician.
- Medication Permission Form (pdf)
- The medication must be in the original container/packaging provided by the pharmacy.
- Medication must be delivered by the parent to the school nurse and kept in the Nurse's Office.
- "Medication" means any prescription drug or over-the-counter medicine or nutritional supplement and includes, but is not limited to, aspirin and cough drops.
Children who have asthma or other potentially life-threatening illness shall be permitted to self-administer medication when the school nurse is not physically present in compliance with Policy 5330 must be followed.